A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Strength Training Monday


I promised a run-down of Monday's strength workout and I shall deliver!

I put together this workout last week and didn't love it. I felt that it needed one more thing. That one more thing? I found on Sunday when I tried the Crunch: Super Slim Down video. It's called "The Willow" and you can see it starting at the 4:00 minute mark here:



As my coworkers said today during our session, it's deceptively hard. You don't think it's going to do anything and then you start to feel it. The key is to keep your butt on your heels, or at least as close them as possible.

And what was the rest of our workout?
1A "Bench" Press w/sit up (10)
1B Superman (10)
1C Willow (10)
x2

2A Lateral Raise w/external rotation (10)
2B Squat w/tricep press (10)
x2

3A Dumbbell Swing (10)
3B Clams w/resistance band (10 each side)
x2

Push-Ups (Week 1, Day 1 of hundredpushups.com)
I haven't done anything squat related in months but imagine my surprise when I did this workout on Saturday to test it out...and my glutes still hurt days later! Amazing to think that this time last year I was squatting almost three-quarters of my body weight on the barbell.

When I got home I got on the stationary bike and did 50 minutes of pedaling. 40 while watching Bones and then a set of Tabata intervals and a cool-down. I was dripping sweat by the end.

All in all, a good day of workouts. Still, I wish I was out there running. This weather is too amazing to be stuck in my basement!