A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Monday, January 23, 2012

Weekend Workouts


The weather may have been pretty frightful this weekend but that didn't deter me from getting in some fun workouts.

The major snow storm that raged all of Friday didn't really affect me. Huge shout-out to the train system here in Chicago that rarely shuts down due to weather!

Awhile back Kim and I bought a 10 class pass to a fitness studio a block from our offices. This, of course, also got us on the studio mailing list. Earlier last week the owner sent out an email inviting all pass holders to attend a free class on Friday night. Free as-in she wouldn't count it on your pass. The class? A new, Chicago-based aerobic dance class called WERQ.

WERQ is the fiercely fun dance fitness class based on current pop, rock, and hip hop charting music. High-energy dance steps, expert cuing, and songs you know and love from the radio combine for a uniquely effective cardiovascular WERQout enjoyed by all fitness backgrounds and all levels of dance ability. WERQ choreography is literal and based on the official music videos for the songs. WERQ playlists include chart topping current pop, rock and hip hop songs played on your city's local Top 40 radio station.

I love Top 40 radio, I love to dance, and I love to sweat. Sounds perfect for me! So I trudged over there through the snow.

The class was a good workout. Not as intense as cardio kickboxing but I could definitely feel my arms and abs working. I suppose I would compare it to Zumba but with more recognizable music. The only downside? There was a lot of squatting and that aggravated my hip some.

Saturday I spent a chunk of the day working on putting together a list of strength training exercises for my coworkers. Yes, I am actually going to lead a strength training class for them. Two days a week. Mondays and Thursdays. Today is the first day. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Anyway, after I put together the list and the first workout of course I had to test it out! The biggest benefit to me here is that I get extra strength training in.

Sunday I procrastinated and procrastinated but I finally got on my bike trainer in the afternoon. I did another 50 minutes with the goal for the first 40 to keep my cadence between 80 and 90. Then, as usual, Tabata intervals and a cool down. I've been thinking that, just like with running, I should add in one longer workout each week. Maybe two episodes of Bones instead of one or watch a movie.

So, all in all, a productive weekend on the workout front.