A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Bonus 11

Maggie tagged me for the 11 questions meme. Even though I already answered some earlier I figured, hey, why not do some more?

I mean, why else do we blog if not to talk about ourselves, right?

Anyway, here are 11 more things about me as asked by Maggie:

1. Why do you run?

I started running because some of my online friends were doing it and I thought, "Hey, if they can do that so can I!" Plus, I was getting pretty tired of the elliptical. I still run (when I'm not injured, anyway) because it's a great workout, it gets me out of the house, and gives me an excuse to hang out with fun people and explore new places.

2. What other athletic things do you enjoy?

I like riding my road bike. I love lifting weights. Pilates, depending on the instructor, is awesome. And dancing. I really enjoy dancing.



3. Where did you grow up?

Champaign, Illinois. I lived there from the age of two to the age of 28 (not counting the four years I was a college undergrad)

4. Why do you currently live where you do?

When I accepted my current job in downtown Chicago my husband and I were living in Champaign in a three bedroom, two car garage, fenced-in yard house. I couldn't imagine giving that up to move to an apartment or a condo or a townhouse in the city. But I also didn't want too long of a commute. We compromised on renting a three bedroom house with a garage and a yard just outside the city but that is still on a major city transit train line.

Thanks to my father-in-law for the photo!


5. Where is your favorite place in the world?

If there's one thing I know about myself, it's that I'm a homebody.

I really enjoying being at home.

Whether that's on my couch, on my back porch, or even in my bed, I enjoy it.

But my real and true favorite place?

My mom's house.

6. Do you know how to do something that not everyone can do?

I used to be able to do the splits as well as a toe-touch jump.


Of course, the last time I tried a toe-touch jump I fell on my ass so I don't know if I necessarily STILL know how to do one.

So I guess my most current unique skill is the ability to put together a last minute presentation and actually keep people engaged.

7. What foods do you hate?

I intensely dislike olives and artichokes. And cilantro.


8. What kind of car do you drive, and why did you buy it?

I drive a black 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe. I used to drive a 1998 Saturn sedan but after Jason and I realized that neither of us had a car that was A. any good in the snow and B. able to transport our two large dogs without getting fur all over the back seat we decided an SUV was in order. This one was a good price, had all the options we wanted and so it came home with us.


9. Have you ever quit anything? Why?

I dropped a class in college because, after the first session, I knew it wasn't going to be as interesting as I originally thought.

I quit my previous job to take this job because the benefits at my current job are much better.

10. What was your major? If you could go back in time, would you pick something else?

My Bachelor's degree is in Psychology with a minor in Criminology. My Master's degree is in Library Science. I don't think I'd want to not have those degrees but if I got another Master's degree it would be in something more technology related or in human resources or training.

11. Where did you go to college? Why? (And if you didn't go, why?)

I went to undergrad at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. My Master's is from the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign. I chose Miami because I wanted a school about 4 hours away from Champaign, in a town that didn't feel too overwhelming. My step-dad knew the university president so he suggested we visit. The campus was lovely, the town was small but still had stuff to do, and I just felt more comfortable there than I did at any of the other schools I visited (Valparaiso, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Washington University in St. Louis).


For grad school I went the easy route: move back to my hometown and go to school there. I already knew I wanted to get my Library Science degree and UIUC has a nationally renowned program. Easy.