A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Friday, January 13, 2012

Resistance is (Not) Futile


Everyone at work asked me what I was doing for my birthday. Well, since Jason is in class until 9:15 PM on Thursday nights I basically had all of yesterday as a bachelorette.

So, I went to lunch with Kim.



I had dessert with my coworkers.

I left work early.

I did 50 minutes on my bike while watching Bones. This included a set of Tabata intervals.


Jason adjusted the resistance on the trainer so I was able to keep my average speed between 15 MPH and 16 MPH and keep my 20 second speed intervals above 20 MPH. What a difference resistance makes!

Then I did a few strength training exercises. Straight leg deadlifts, dumbbell shoulder presses, planks and side planks.

This morning one of my coworkers asked me if I enjoyed my birthday workout. Long story short, she decided she wants me to lead a lunch time strength training class for any of our coworkers who are interested. I don't know if it will actually happen, but I agreed to do it if she organized it. Do I think I'm qualified? Hell no. Do I think it would be fun? Hell yes.

After my workout I had some leftover soup for dinner and watched The Last Exorcism. I'm reserving my opinions until I talk to my friend who is also planning to watch it and we compare notes.

Overall, it was a lovely birthday. I got to do so many of the things I love. See my best friend, have some laughs, get some fun gifts, eat a brownie, get in a good workout, get a fun and useful gift from my husband, talk to my mom, leave work early, and watch a horror movie.

And this weekend I fly to Cleveland to see my best friend from college!

I can't think of a better way to welcome my 32nd year.