A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Random Things are Random

Since I was guest-lecturing at a graduate class on Tuesday evening I have no Tuesday workout to write about. But that's okay! Instead, I'm going to share 22 random facts about myself courtesy of being tagged by Kim and Lauren in the 11 Random Questions Meme. I think I'm also supposed to post 11 random things about me, but I'm going to ignore the rules and just answer their questions! Look at me, being a rebel. I'm not, usually. There, there's one random unsolicited fact about me.

From Kim:

1. What is your dream job?

I'm not really picky about the field, but my dream job would be doing something that people WANT. In so many of my jobs I've felt like a salesperson trying to sell policies and procedures that many people view as red tape. Instead I'd like to be an archivist who helps people do historical or genealogical research. I'd like to be a personal trainer who helps people feel better about themselves. I'd like to be a corporate trainer who helps people navigate the ins and outs of their jobs. Or, in a real fantasy world, I'd be a forensic pathologist. However, I have no desire to go to med school at the age of 32.

2. What is the farthest (furthest?) you have traveled from home?

I guess the furthest I've ever been is Helsinki, Finland. I loved Helsinki.


3. Do you think you can you have more than one best friend?

I think if you're an extrovert, then yes. And each of those best friends would fill a slightly different role in your life. Think Sex and the City. If you're an introvert, though, you probably only have one, maybe two people who you would consider your best friend. And they don't have to stay the same throughout your life.

4. What is your favorite cuisine?

Thai food! Which is strange since I don't like curry or cilantro, right?

5. Who is the first person you want to share news with?

Usually, Kim! Followed by my husband and my mom.

6. What are people likely to ask you to help them with?

Proofreading, training on how to do things at work, what to make for dinner, fitness ideas

7. What are you likely to ask someone to help you with?

Technology issues, cleaning and organizing

8. Why do you read blogs?

I first started reading blogs when I didn't have very many in-person friends. Reading blogs made me feel less alone. I keep reading them because it's a fun way to see what other people are doing, discover new ideas, and, still, feel like there are other people out there like me.

9. Who knows you the best?

My mom.


10. Do you believe in karma?

I believe that the decisions we make affect us much further down the road than we realize.

11. What’s something you are really interested in, that most people don’t know about? (that you are interested in it, not the thing itself)

Did you know I wrote my undergraduate honors thesis on the differences between male and female serial killers?

Yep, I did. You used to be able to find the abstract online when you Googled my name but either it's no longer there or it's just been buried by race results and professional association links.

I'm not as interested in real-life serial killers anymore but I love police procedural shows and books. The criminal justice system still fascinates me.


From Lauren:

1. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?

Currently, I'd love to ride the donkeys to the bottom of the Grand Canyon or hike through Alaska. Although, I just got the REI Travel catalog in the mail and a cycling trip through Vietnam or Spain sounds pretty exotic.

2. Do you have a goal / legacy that you’d like to leave behind?

I've never really thought about it before. I suppose, though, that in keeping with my previous answer of having a dream job where I give people something they want by actually helping them, I'd like to be remembered for what people learned from me.

3. What is the food you eat most frequently?

I have to say peanut butter. My day doesn't feel complete if I don't eat it at least once.

4. What is the best meal you ever ate?

The first night I arrived in Venice, Italy with my parents we found a restaurant off St. Mark's Square. We ordered the prix-fixe dinner and to this day I dream about that lasagna. I have no idea what it was but that meal was amazing.

5. Favorite Run?

The very first time I ran 18 miles will be emblazoned forever on my mind. That run could not have gone more perfectly.

6. Who did you last talk on the phone with?

As of the actual writing of this post, it was my mom.

7. What is the last book you read?

I'm sort of reading House Rules by Jodi Picoult but since I already guessed the ending (and jumped ahead to see if I was right) I'm not really feeling it. The last book I finished was Faceless Killers which was just okay.

8. Open- or closed-toe shoes in the summer?

For six years I worked at a place that didn't allow us to wear open-toed shoes to work. Hence, I hardly owned any sandals. But since starting my current job almost 4 years ago I've been slowly building up my sandal collection. Now I'm open-toed in the summer all the way.

9. What’s the coolest race swag or prize that you’ve received?

I have a few shirts that I really like but my favorite race swag is the wine glass I got at the Napa-to-Sonoma Half Marathon. I use it all the time.

Photobucket


10. Do you consider yourself to be shy or outgoing?

In most situations I would consider myself shy. I'm really bad at making small talk and I very rarely initiate conversations. I can be awkward in social situations as well. But that doesn't mean I don't want to hang out! It might just take me a few times to open up.

11. Do you live near or far from family?

My parents live two and a half hours away. My husband's parents live in Arizona. We also have family in the Chicago area, in Florida, and in St. Louis. Strangely, we see our parents the most even though they aren't necessarily the closest.

Now it's your turn! If you want to, you can answer any of the questions above either in your own blog or in the comments to this post. Or, if you want to answer different questions, here are 11 from me:

1. What is your favorite way to communicate with people?
2. Describe your ideal day.
3. What is your favorite photo of yourself?
4. What hobby or activity would you like to learn?
5. Which books do you re-read or which tv shows or movies do you re-watch over and over again?
6. What is one skill you've discovered about yourself in the last 2 years?
7. Do you prefer to be the organizer or just show up?
8. What is your go-to small talk topic when you find yourself in a group of people you don't know very well?
9. List three websites you visit every (or most) days.
10. Which of your habits do you wish you could break?
11. A book store is going out of business and giving away all their books for free. What section do you head towards first?