A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Tail of Two Trainers

 

camera_january_2012 003

Last year Jason bought me an indoor trainer for my bike as an early Valentine's Day present. Less than a week later we found out my parents were planning to buy HIM an indoor bike trainer! So, we now have two bike trainers, one for each bike.

There were a few times last year when we'd both be on our trainers in the living room watching tv and riding. For the past few months, though, Jason hasn't been able to ride his bike because of back issues and for reasons I'm not quite clear on my bike ended up on his trainer in the basement. I've just been using it without much thought.

On Sunday, though, we got a ton of rain on top of all the snow we've had. Since our basement tends to flood whenever there's a chance of a lot of rain we now do a once-over of the basement and move anything important off the floor. On Sunday this meant taking my bike off the trainer and putting both it and the trainer up off the floor. Thankfully the basement didn't flood.

So on Monday night when I went downstairs to get on my bike I had to put it back on the trainer. I tried and tried to put it back on Jason's but I just couldn't. So I brushed the cobwebs off of mine and slotted my bike in there.

And lo and behold, I was easily able to keep my speed around 18 MPH for the entire 45 minute ride! In addition, my trainer is so much quieter than Jason's!

I'm not entirely sure what's going on but I think it might have something to do with the resistance setting options. Even though I had Jason's on the lowest resistance apparently that is still harder than the lowest on my trainer. Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that Jason's trainer has been underwater and mine hasn't.

Either way, I'm sticking to mine from now on!