A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Still Kicking


For the first time in weeks I was able to make it to the Tuesday night cardio kickboxing class with Kim!

That class is such an awesome workout that will leave you sweaty and sore. But not sore in a bad way. Oh no. I took it easy on anything having to do with my left side and, as such, I'm not in pain today. Except for my glutes and my shoulders. Those are muscles that definitely weren't getting that good of a workout from running.

At the end of the kicking section the instructor leads the group in a series of ab exercises. My abs are usually pretty torched already (yes, cardio kickboxing will work your abs) so I'm sure I look like a floundering fish. Especially when she asked us to some weird crunch that involved getting into bent knee boat pose and then pulling our knees to our chests. That currently aggravates my hip so I sat in bent knee boat pose for the first two rounds and then switched to open leg rocker for the last set.


The instructor looked over at me and said, "Oooh, I like that! I might have to steal that one!"

I know. I'm badass.

After kickboxing I had to rush off to get to my running club board meeting. It was nice to see my friends who I haven't seen since I'm been on my running hiatus. One of them commented that she's been following my blog so she can keep up with what I'm doing while I'm not running.

"You must be in really good overall shape right now!" she said.

Part of me thinks yes and part of me thinks no. And while I do miss being able to go for a run as part of my workout repertoire I'm also enjoying the ability to do a variety of things.

Doesn't mean that there hasn't been a little bit of sadness, especially today. Why today? Well, today registration for the Chicago Marathon opened. It's the talk of the town among many Chicago runners and news outlets.

I have no desire to run the Chicago marathon again. But that doesn't mean I'm not feeling a little bit left out when I realize I probably won't be signing up for a marathon at all in 2012.

Funny how things change. In 2008 I was taking kickboxing class twice a week and slowly upping my running from the 5K distance to the 10K distance by running two to three days a week. Running a marathon was a distant goal that I didn't know if I would ever tackle.

Now I'm back to kickboxing and will probably be rebuilding my mileage hopefully in the near future. But this time I'll have three marathons under my belt and signing up for another one won't be the same distant dream.