A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Human Body is Amazing


I went to Cleveland this weekend to see my best friend from college and attend her baby shower.

I had no plans to fit in any kind of exercise. I wanted to savor a weekend with my friend and celebrate her upcoming first child.

Little did I know I would get to witness a feat of a different kind of strength training, endurance, and pushing your body to the limits.

Yes, my friend went into labor the morning of her baby shower.

I wasn't in the room for the actual birth but I was at the hospital with her and her husband for most of Sunday and Monday. And my friend, who once thought running 10 miles was beyond her capabilities, gave birth to an adorable baby girl who has the softest skin ever.

In my mind, giving birth is probably harder than any endurance event. I have no plans or desires to have children of my own. Still, I most certainly appreciate the strength, both mental and physical, it takes to do it.

It's kind of like running a marathon. You can plan, you can visualize, and you can have a goal. But, in reality, you have very little control over what happens when the day arrives. You take what the situation gives you, you push through, and hopefully at the end you can look back and smile.

There were lots of smiles this weekend. And some pain, too, of course. And just like some marathons (Chicago, New York) there's still a ways to go even after you reach the finish line.

And then, from what I understand, you begin a different kind of endurance event: parenting :-)

(Sorry, no photos or details. Not my story to share.)