A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Monday, August 1, 2011

July Wrap Up


I feel like I say this every time I do a monthly wrap-up, but, seriously, what happened to July???

I am sad that it is almost August. This year is going by way too quickly.

Maybe July feels like it went by so quickly because I was constantly on the move. Except for that vacation week I ran 20+ miles every week and biked at least once. The strength training wasn't as spectacular but it was still there. Actually, I'm considering revising my original 100 strength training sessions down to just 50. It seems that most weeks I'm lucky to get in one strength workout, let alone two. In July, I only managed 5 workouts.

I looked back at last July to compare to this one since right now I feel really behind with marathon training. July 2010 I ran my first 100+ mile month ever with a total of 103 miles. This July? 81 miles. So, yes, I am a little behind. However, those extra 20 miles would have been during my vacation and I've probably made up for them somewhat with my 63.84 miles of biking so I suppose I shouldn't be too worried. Right?

Regardless, July was a fun month with a four mile race PR, my second-ever duathlon (and my first time running in Michigan), and the crazy trail race that seems to coincide with crazy amounts of rain. Not to mention riding my bike to work for the first time, trying a new yoga class, and running in three states (Illinois, Michigan, Ohio).

I don't have any huge running or biking plans for August. Do at least one 5K for fun, maybe a 10K at the end of the month, perhaps a bike ride event, and just keep plugging away at marathon training.