A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Revenge of the Roller


At my Monday morning PT appointment for my hip my PT spent a good five minutes "massaging" my left quadricep. Digging in and making me wish I knew Lamaze breathing is probably a better description of what was going on, though.

"Have you been foam rolling?" she asked. I shamefully had to tell her no. My little baby blue foam roller has two huge dents in it from all the IT band foam rolling I've done over the past year. It just doesn't cut it anymore. So Kim made me the photo above to encourage me to buy a new, firmer, black foam roller. Insert inappropriate joke here.

Anyway! I promised my PT that I would foam roll after my run on Monday night. During the run my calves felt so tight I though they would snap and my quad ached the whole time. I guess that's what I get for running 30 miles in three days.

Thankfully my calves loosened up and in spite of the quad ache the run felt pretty good. I ran the last almost-4 miles with a new gal I hadn't run with before so it was nice to have some small talk (what do you do, where do you live, how long have you been running) to keep us occupied. The first part of the run went well, too, as I learned about the tradition of charging non-temple members to attend Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashana services. See, running is educational!

And, yes, I foam rolled when I got home even though my foam roller is done. My quads were still screaming at me, though, so it's got enough oomph for that. Plus, I laid on a tennis ball to really get at the most painful parts of my hip.

And I'm planning to rest tonight. I'm looking forward to it.

Monday Night OPRC Long Route by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details