A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head


After what seems like a month of heat and humidity the weather finally broke last night. The air was even almost a little bit chilly.

Chicago experienced the wettest July on record and, as I am prone to do, I seem to have ignored this fact and left my umbrella at home multiple times. Yesterday the rain continued and, once again, my umbrella was safe and sound at home when I left work.

So when I realized it was probably going to rain during my scheduled run I decided that since I was already wet I didn't care. Was there going to be lightning? Didn't look like it. Time to get my run on.

I wore my trusty green running t-shirt that has seen its share of rainy runs. And my bright pink shorts that survived the rain during the last six miles of the Madison Marathon.

The rain started coming down less than a half mile into the run. I didn't care. I felt amazing. At one point Maribeth looked down and said "Uh, are you running a 9:15 pace?" Why yes, yes I was. In fact, I finished the entire 5.5 miles with an average pace of 9:07! The last time I ran a Monday night run anything close to that was in May!

Apparently you give me a rainy day and I'll give you an awesome run.

However, all I wanted to do when I got home was strip out of my sopping wet clothes and curl up under a blanket. Thankfully my husband is awesome and had dinner ready when I walked in the door.

It felt so good to have a run where I wasn't struggling in the heat or humidity.

Monday Night in the Rain by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details