A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Lead Legs



Last night I felt like I was running wearing a full suit of armor.

Gee, I wonder why.

My legs felt so heavy and the first few miles of my run I wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it the entire way.

This would have been a problem considering I ran to the running club meeting spot with plans to run the 5.5 mile route and then run home for a total of 8.5 miles.

I got a late start from my house, though, and ended up having to book it for the last half a mile in order to make it on time. I was really sweaty (and tired) by the time we started our group run.

It was deceptively warm outside. The air temps were only in the 70s but the humidity must have been high. I was drenched with sweat and feeling really out of it even though we were only averaging a 9:30 pace.

Thankfully I was able to finish the group run. I'd pretty much drained the handheld water bottle I'd brought, though. And I probably could have used a Clif Shot Blok or two. I guess I didn't eat enough at lunch. Too many cookies and not enough real food, I suppose. Damn those cookies our boss baked and put in the kitchenette!

At the finish of the group run there were two women from a local massage place giving free 5 minute stretching and massage sessions. It was glorious to have someone help me stretch out my hip flexors in such a way that I can't do on my own. And the rest break gave me the energy to run home. I had company for most of the way home, too. Big thanks to speedsters Helen and Steve for slowing down enough for me to hang with them for awhile.

It was dark by the time I got home (at 8:15) which makes me sad. Summer and the subsequent lighter evenings that come with it are definitely on the way out. I won't miss the heat and humidity for running but I will miss the daylight. Guess it's time to break out the blinking lights and reflective bits!

Monday Night OPRC w/run to and from by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details