A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Perfect 10


Wednesday night was another alternate "track" workout. The track is actually closed because the university is installing a new football field.


So once again we ran around the block. It's almost exactly a mile but it works out well since right now we're mostly just running for time and not for distance.

Last night's workout was a one-mile warm-up followed by 40 minutes of marathon pace running.

I'll be honest, though. I think I was running a little faster than marathon pace. Well, considering my last marathon was such a hot slog-fest I don't know if I consider that an accurate portrayal of my marathon pace. Almost 12 minute miles? If my hope of breaking 5 hours is going to come true, that had better not be my marathon pace this year!

So I've been aiming for between 10:00 and 10:30 minute miles. Okay. Last night I ran perfect negative splits starting with the warm-up and finishing with the last mile. 5 miles total with an average pace of 10:01 for the last 4 miles.

But I don't think that was the point of the workout. Next week I think I'll work on slowing down. My muscles didn't burn (although my knees were a little achy) but my legs felt a little more tired than I would have liked. So maybe next week I'll see if I can keep my pace closer to 10:30. It's rough being the slow kid in the group and it's crazy to think about having to run slower, but if that's what's going to get me to my goal then sign me up.

Warm-Up by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details

Steady State Speedwork by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details