A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Friday, August 5, 2011

Now for Something Completely Different


Okay, it's not really that different. It's still running, after all.

But our track coach is having us try something new to a lot of us: base building.

Instead of just continuing to run faster and faster on Wednesday like hamsters on a wheel, we're going to try approaching our training with a little bit more strategy.

Sure, speedwork is great. It has helped me. But my speedwork times have not translated to my race times and my endurance still isn't where I want it to be. So for the next four weeks I'm going to focus on running a steady, easy-ish pace for a certain number of minutes instead of running all out for short bursts at a time.

There's a science to this that eludes me but I'm going to trust Coach Holly. Besides, I'm marathon training, not 5K training. And that means I need to worry more about my mileage as opposed to my pace.

So on Wednesday the goal was to run for 30 minutes at a pace between my marathon and half-marathon pace. Since my marathon pace is based on a sample size of one, I decided to run between my half-marathon pace and my goal marathon pace. Which meant 30 minutes at 10:00 minute miles. Plus a one mile warm-up.

It was tough to not speed up. I kept waffling between too fast and too slow. Thankfully it evened out in the end and I ran a 10:01 pace for 30 minutes. Right on target! I definitely felt like I could have kept going but it's not like I just took a walk around the block. I think that's where I was supposed to be.

Warm Up by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details

OPRC Track Workout by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details

Then on Thursday I took a "me" day and stayed home from work. I slept in, answered some emails, mowed the grass, futzed with our apparently broken dishwasher, and then decided to go to the gym. I debated: ride my bike to the gym or run to the gym.

Well, I added up what I expect my running mileage to be this week and decided to run to the gym. 3 miles round-trip and I did the second half carrying a bagel. Hey, I needed one for Saturday morning and there's a bagel store next door to the gym! Multitasking at its finest.

Run to Gym by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details

Run Home From Gym by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details

And now I rest. At least until Saturday morning.