A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Steady as She Goes


Wednesday night we did another steady state run. Last week Coach Holly commented on my blog post to tell me I should speed up, not slow down during these runs. We input some conservative times into the MacMillan Pace Calculator and came up with a steady state run pace of 9:40. Meaning that the run should feel like an effort but not so much that I'm out of breath or my legs are burning.

I did my warm-up mile with another running club board member so we could talk "business". She is faster than me so I discovered that I accidentally ran my warm-up mile at the pace I was supposed to run my workout. Oops!

Warm Up by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details

Then it was straight into the workout of 40 to 50 minutes at that 9:40 pace and I found myself alone. Somehow I'd lost all the people who were my pace. Okay. That will help me work on pacing myself, I thought.

I did pretty well the first two miles. 9:38 and 9:37, respectively. Except that if you look at my pace chart it's all over the place.

Steady State Run by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details

I'm just no good at running the same pace for any period of time straight. I think it's one of the reasons I've always found running on the treadmill to be so much more difficult.

Or maybe my legs just wanted to speed up. I can't see how, though. They felt like ground hamburger. Sore, stiff, and heavy. Too many days of hard workouts, I guess.

In spite of the lack of a flat line on the graph, I am getting pretty good at saying what pace I'm going to run and then actually hitting it or getting within a few seconds.