A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Monday, February 6, 2012

Weekend Workouts

Since I wasn't able to get in a good sweat-fest on Thursday, I decided I'd get on the bike trainer on Friday evening.

I did my usual 40-some minutes while watching Bones and then headed into Tabata intervals. I was whirring along keeping my speed above 20 MPH and my cadence above 100 when I decided, "Hey, let's see what happens if I make the gears one harder."

Well, uh, this is what happens:

Yeah. I hit almost 35 MPH as my top speed. Granted, that was only for a few seconds, but still. I really should learn how to use the gears on my bike to my advantage.

Saturday I didn't get in a workout but that's because I was out celebrating my running club's achievements from 2011. We participate in the Chicago Area Runners Association Circuit Competition and Saturday was the awards banquet. We had lots of award winners.

I didn't get a fancy plaque, but I did get my participation award. A really nice stainless steel Nathan water bottle that says CARA 2011 Participation Award on it. The best part? It has a clip on it so that I can attach it to my purse. I lost my previous water bottle with a clip on it at Christmas and had been jonesing for a new one! This one is perfect!

I also won a raffle prize. A one-year all-access pass to the Chicago Athletic Clubs. This thing is worth some serious dough I've been told. The downside? None of the clubs are convenient for me!

So, if it's convenient for one of you and you think you'd use it, let me know. Seriously. I hate for this thing to go to waste. Even though Jason and I have talked about moving to the city, there's still no guarantee that I'd be able to use it.

After indulging myself for most of the day on Saturday I was not really in the mood to push myself on Sunday. Still I went to the basement to do Monday's strength class workout and try out a few tweaks. That took me 30 minutes or so. Then I decided to knock out another round of Tabata intervals on the bike. Then, per the usual, once I was on the bike I didn't want to get off after only a few minutes. So I did 30 minutes total.

And then I made myself a peanut butter chocolate smoothie with the PB2 that Kim bought me. Soooo good.

All in all, a pretty good weekend.