A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Balls

 

tennisballs

My hip still hurts.  The first thing I did when I got home from work yesterday was get the tennis ball off my night stand and lay on it.  It’s the only thing I can use that will dig deep enough to create that orgasmically painful feeling you get when you press on somewhere that hurts.  Or is that just me?

My hip felt slightly better after that.  Better enough, anyway, for me to do 20 minutes of power walking on my treadmill per the doctor’s orders.

I think I was walking at between 4.0 and 4.5 MPH.  But since my treadmill is special I’m not entirely positive about that.  Regardless, I did 20 minutes.  My hip felt okay but I could feel my hip flexors stretching out.  Maybe that’s good?

Then it was time to do Thursday’s strength training workout.  I always like to do it at least once before I lead my coworkers because I don’t always get the hardcore lifting in the way I want when I’m teaching. 

1A "Bench" Press w/sit up (10)
1B Superman (10)
1C Willow (10)
x2
2A Lateral Raise w/external rotation (10)
2B Squat w/tricep press (10)
x2
3A Dumbbell Swing (10)
3B Clams w/resistance band (10 each side)
x2
Push-Ups

Then, because I didn’t feel like I’d actually done anything, I did Tabata intervals on the bike.  I upped the resistance a bit by changing the gears and my legs felt like Jello when I was done.  Now THAT’S what I call a workout.

My hip felt okay right afterward but later it was sore again.  And it’s still sore today.  Strangely, it felt okay as I led my coworkers through the weight routine (which I did sans weights) but hurt afterward.  Exercise-induced adrenaline is a wonderful thing.