A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Monday, November 28, 2011

Weekly Workout Wround Up

November 21 - November 27

Nov 21

After learning last week that doing a long run and a short fast run and then trying to run again on Monday night does not for a happy knee make, I decided to skip the Monday night run and do something else instead.

Since I still can't fully strength train the way I want (stupid hip) I made up a routine with some moves I can do without aggravating my left leg too much. Shoulder presses, tricep extensions, stability ball crunches, bench presses, and a few other things. All in all I did about 30-40 minutes. I really miss strength training.

Nov 22

Kim and I bought a Groupon back before the Milwaukee Marathon that entitled us to 10 cardio fitness classes at a place near our offices but due to our schedules this Tuesday was the first night we could use them together.

We showed up for the hour long cardio kickboxing class not really knowing what to expect. It's been a long time since I did cardio kickboxing. I miss it. I didn't realize how much I missed it until we started.

About halfway through the hour-long, high-intensity class I thought I might keel over but I just reminded myself that I've run for longer than that and to suck it up. Plus, staring at my arm muscles in the mirror as they glistened with sweat was a nice distraction. Yes, I'm vain. So what?

My body also missed hardcore aerobics classes. On Wednesday I was so sore I could barely move. But, hey, I've been looking for a way to work my glutes. I think I found it.

Nov 23

Kim and I were able to sneak out for a 5 mile run at lunch. I took her to Northerly Island and we kept up a pretty brisk pace considering we were both super-sore from the night before.

Lunch Run w/Kim by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details

Nov 24


My running group did a Thanksgiving Morning run followed by coffee and camaraderie. I did 7 miles and the first few were rough. Sometimes I'm amazed that I ran 13.1 miles at a sub-9:00 minute pace when there are mornings when running 10:00 minute miles is a struggle.

Nov 25

Rest day. My family had our Thanksgiving Celebration on Friday afternoon so I took the opportunity to sleep in and try and let my body recover. It was still sore from Tuesday night!

Nov 26

The weather was miserable on Saturday so I decided to brave the treadmill in my basement. You may recall that this particular treadmill has been underwater a few times. It still works, it's just a little quirky.

The biggest quirk I discovered? The speed buttons don't really correspond to the belt speed anymore. I hopped on the treadmill, pressed the button for 6.0 MPH (10:00 minute miles) and started jogging....as the belt went faster and faster and faster. Apparently the 6.0 button now equates to 9.0 MPH!

Long story short, I had to run for time not for distance after lowering the speed to something more reasonable. I ended up running for 80 minutes which I'm figuring was around 8 miles.

Nov 27

Kim and I made plans to go bowling with our husbands. The last time we went bowling together I had to wear my knee strap as my right knee was acting up before the Chicago Marathon.

This time it was my left glute that was acting up! It's been sore since Tuesday's cardio kickboxing class and the bowling motion made it flare up. I'm not a great bowler but I was bummed that I couldn't even attempt to have good bowling form lest the pain in my ass become worse.

I bought a heating pad on the way home and basically sat on it all afternoon. I'll probably take a few days off from running since I'm now less than a week out from the Las Vegas Marathon.

Total running mileage: approximately 20
Total strength training sessions: 1
Other cross-training: 1