A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Monday, April 4, 2011

Weekly Workout Wround Up

March 28th - April 3rd

Mar 28

Awesome 5.5 mile run with the club where I kept all the miles sub-9:00.

Mar 29

Rest day! Although this was yet another evening I spent doing things for the running club 5K. This time it was labeling bibs for packet pick-up on Saturday.

Mar 30

Assorted running at the track for a total of 6.5 miles or so.

Mar 31

5 mile slog of a run at lunch. After work I got in some strength training. I had to wait while some guy did 800 push-up variations in front of the squat rack but otherwise it was a pretty smooth workout.

Also, my brain was apparently fried. I meant to do squats at 65 pounds but after the first set of 8 I thought "man, this feels harder than last time." It was then that I realized I'd put two 10 pound weights on each side of the 45 pound barbell instead of one 10 pound weight on each side. Yeah, that adds up to 85 not 65. No wonder it felt harder!

Warm up stretches
4 sets of 8 squats
3 sets of 8 push ups (hardly any modifying those puppies this time!)
3 sets of 8 seated rows
3 sets of 8 step ups (still my least favorite exercise)
3 sets of 15 prone jackknives (going from 12 to 15 was tougher than I thought it would be)

Afterward I had a smoothie made with bananas, strawberries, apple juice, and vanilla whey protein. My gym makes the best smoothies. I know it's bourgeois, but I love it anyway.

Apr 1

Rest day! Although I did wander around town hanging "No Parking" signs for the race on Sunday.

Apr 2

I had grand plans of hitting up yoga before spending the day doing race-prep things. However, I ended up choosing to sleep in and then lounge in bed until the last possible moment. I've been feeling pretty wiped lately so I think this was the best choice. Although later, I admit, I regretted skipping yoga.

Apr 3

2.16 mile warm-up and then my first race in April for another 3.1 miles.

Total mileage: 22.26
Total strength workouts: 1