A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Monday, April 11, 2011

Weekly Workout Wround Up

April 4th - April 10th

Apr 4

Another speedy 5.5 miler with the running club.

Apr 5

3.38 mile run at lunch with the other gal in our lunch time running group.

After work I headed to the gym for some strength training. This is definitely my favorite of the two workouts I've been alternating between.
Warm-up stretches
4 sets of 8 deadlifts
3 sets of 8 dumbbell shoulder presses
3 sets of wide grip lat pulldowns
3 sets of 8 lunges
3 sets of 15 Swiss ball crunches

Apr 6

I forgot to turn my Garmin on for part of our workout on Wednesday night so I'm just going to round up and say I ran 5.25 miles with some awesome intervals.

Apr 7

I went to the doctor Thursday afternoon for a follow-up appointment for my shin. While the shin has been behaving nicely lately my right groin area (adductor and adductor tendon) have been painful for at least a week. Rolling it out with a tennis ball and stretching seem to help as does the crazy things the PT does to my leg.

At first the doctor was concerned I might have a stress fracture in the bone in that area but changed her tune when I told her it doesn't hurt to run and actually hurts more after sitting all day or when I try to pull my knee to my chest while sitting. So now I'm being sent for a running gait analysis so they can figure out if all of my various aches and pains are related somehow.

In the mean time, she told me to avoid things that make it hurt. So instead of squatting 85 pounds like I did last week, I stuck to 45 for my Thursday evening strength workout (which I managed to squeeze in after the doctor's appointment and before a hair appointment).
Warm-up stretches
3 sets of 8 squats
3 sets of 8 push-ups (I can almost do all of these without any modifications!)
3 sets of 8 bent over rows w/the barbell
3 sets of 8 step ups
3 sets of 15 prone jackknives
By the way, if you skip the entire 60 second rest between sets (and don't have to wait for people to be done with the weights), you can bang out this workout in less than 30 minutes. Pretty cool, huh?

Apr 8

I had an unexpectedly free Friday evening so I went to the gym to get in another strength workout.
Warm-up stretches
4 sets of 8 deadlifts
3 sets of 8 dumbbell shoulder presses
3 sets of 8 wide grip pulldowns
3 sets of 8 lunges
3 sets of 15 Swiss ball crunches
My groin/adductor tendon attachment area were still sore so I was glad I didn't have to do any squats. I would have to have skipped them and then I would have felt guilty. I should probably work on that.

Also, I'm totally supposed to ice my shin after every run. You know what would make that 10000% times easier? If I won these awesome shin/calf sleeves Beth at Shut Up and Run! is giving away. See, you wear them while working out and then you just slide the ice packs into the sewn-in pockets when you're done. Voila!

Apr 9

Eleven miles with the running club and then wandering around the city with my in-laws. My dogs were barking by the time I got home! My left leg was a little achy, too. Come on, left leg! Get it together!

Apr 10

Rest day! Well, unless you count strolling around my neighborhood giving a tour to my in-laws. We probably walked two miles or so at a leisurely pace. It was a great way to enjoy the unseasonably warm weather we had.

Total mileage: 25.13
Total strength workouts: 3