A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Friday, April 15, 2011

Wind Beneath My Wings


I managed to get out for a short run at lunch time on Thursday. Thankfully the rain they had originally predicted stayed away. Unfortunately the wind was blowing in from the lake with a vengeance.

We went south along the lakefront path, past the aquarium and Solider Field. The first mile went by quickly and I was pleased that my pace was around 9:00 without feeling like I was pushing it.

Turns out that the wind had a hand in that. I slowed down so that the other woman in the group could keep up and when we turned around at mile 2 I realized why that first mile had felt so effortless. I was being propelled by the wind.

That last 1.6 miles were straight into the wind. I put my all into it because I just wanted to be done. Originally I'd planned to run 5 miles but I'm glad we turned around when we did. I couldn't imagine being out there for longer than I was already!

I pushed myself hard for the last half mile trying to catch up to the guys who had pulled away. I felt bad for leaving my female running companion but my body just didn't want to go slow. When I made it to the intersection where we turn off the path I decided to wait for her and then just walk leisurely back to our starting point. Meaning I only did a total of 3.68 miles instead of 4 but, hey, almost half of it was into the wind so I think that counts for something.

Lunch Time Run South - Short by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details