A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Can't Trust That Day

More Pics @ MySpaceAntics.com



Man, Mondays have been rough the past couple of weeks. I'm still not feeling 100% but this time I think it's definitely due to a combination of hormones and whatever I ate for lunch on Monday. My whole GI system felt really "off" by the time I got home from work yesterday and I almost didn't go running. But it was our "Run of the Month" which meant earning participation points and then going out for dinner afterward. So I sucked it up and went out.

I felt pretty good for the first few miles. There was a light rain that was just enough to cool me off without soaking me to the bone. I was easily able to keep a sub-9:00 pace while chatting.

But as we closed in on the park where we all stop for water, bathrooms, and to decide who's running 8 miles and who's running 5.5 I could feel my stomach start to rebel. Thankfully the bathrooms were open so I could take advantage of them.

The last mile and a half were slower because my whole midsection felt crampy. Still, we managed an average 8:55 pace for the whole run. My friend Jacob and I were chatting at the park about how we're no longer the last people to finish. When we started running with the club we were both lucky to run sub-10 minute miles. Now we're running sub-9:00s and talking! Of course, we're still towards the back of the pack but we're proud of the speed we've gained.

Oh, and my knee felt fine the entire run. A little sore on the stairs up and down to the bathroom at the shoe store where we start and finish our run. And, yes, I went up and down several times before we left for dinner. Where I also visited the bathroom a few more times.

My system is still not 100% better today but it's getting there. Let's just hope I don't end up on the flat ginger ale and Saltines diet for the rest of the week.

Monday Night OPRC by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details