A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Monday, April 25, 2011

Weekly Workout Wround Up

April 18th - April 24th

Apr 18

5.5 mile run that felt good during but not so good afterward. Stupid knee.

Apr 19

I went to the gym to do the real and true last workout of Stage 1 of NROLW. This workout went FAST. And was quite fun. Again, the idea was to take the weight I used during the very first workout and do as many reps a possible for one set. I actually could have done more on some of these but I was getting a little bored!
1 set of 35 deadlifts @ 45 pounds
1 set of 30 dumbbell shoulder presses @ 10 pounds
1 set of 45 wide grip pulldowns @ 15 pounds
1 set of 35 lunges @ 15 pounds
1 set of 35 Swiss ball crunches
So, essentially I've doubled the number of reps I can do in one set. And all those weights felt freaking light! Seeing progress like that is so amazing!!

Plus, my knee actually behaved itself during the deadlifts and the lunges!

Apr 20

I took an epic nap instead of doing anything resembling exercise. Hey, sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

Apr 21

Because the PT told me Thursday morning that I'm not supposed to run for a few days I ended up at the gym even though it was perfect running weather. Sigh.

Anyway, I did a 5K on the elliptical in under 21 minutes. Too bad elliptical speed doesn't translate linearly to running speed! Then I attended a 30 minute abs class. Those 30 minutes went by really quickly. And I definitely broke a sweat. Whew! Finally, I foam rolled per my PT's instructions and then, at a loss because I don't want to/can't do squats or deadlifts right now and my current strength training plan REALLY likes those things, I did 3 sets of 8 dumbbell shoulder presses with 20 pound weights and then did 8 (real) push ups. I'm totally counting this as a strength training day.

And, I admit, I did run for a few minutes on the treadmill just to test out my knee. It held up okay for the three minutes I was on there. I thought about running a whole mile but decided not to push it.

Apr 22

Rest day! Actually, this was a travel day. And a spend-some-quality-time-with-the-foam-roller day.

Apr 23

10 mile race!. Rae kicked butt, my knee held out just fine, and I had a wonderful weekend. Definitely a success.

Apr 24

Another rest/travel day.


Well, the mileage this week was less than stellar. And my strength training wasn't exactly what I wanted but, hey, better than nothing. My knee issues are definitely IT band related so the foam roller and I will continue to spend some quality time together and I'll be scheduling a massage ASAP. However, I'm encouraged by the fact that running 10 miles, albeit slower than my normal pace, didn't cripple me.

Total mileage: 15.5
Total strength workouts: 2