A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Track is Back


Last night was our first "official" track workout of the season. A mixture of old and new faces showed up to learn how to get smarter, swifter, and stronger. Coach Holly put together a workout to get the newbies accustomed to the stretches and drills some of us had been doing all winter.

Of course, I parked at the track entrance that was locked so I got a short warm-up jog as I made my way to the open entrance to rendezvous with the group. We have quite a diverse assortment of runners. From an ultramarathoner who runs 50 and 100 mile races down to former college 800 meter runners we have it all. On the plus side, if Maribeth has to miss a session I'm bound to have someone else as my rabbit. On the downside, I feel for our Coach who is being bombarded with a plethora of needs, expectations, and personalities. Still, I have faith in Coach Holly and am excited for this year!

After doing all our stretches, we started out with a 12 minute warm-up done in a 5-4-3 fashion. That means we ran 5 minutes easy, 4 minutes a little faster, and 3 minutes even faster.

Next it was on to 20 minutes of running drills. Side gallops, karaoke, high knees, butt kicks, and strides. I like strides. My right knee and left adductor/hip flexor didn't love the running drills. Or at least that's what they told me later. I may need to back off next week. We'll see how I feel after my races this weekend.

Anyway, after all that it was almost 8:00 PM and I needed to get home. I wish I could have stayed for the cool down but I got a few minutes on my own as I ran back to my car.

Overall I did about 4.5 miles (if you count my jog from the car to the track for which I forgot to turn on my Garmin). A nice way to ease back into speedwork after a few weeks off.

OPRC Speedwork by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details