A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Monday, October 10, 2011

Weekly Workout Wround Up

October 3rd - October 9th

Oct 3

Rest day! I actually went to running group to show off my medal and enter the raffle for a pair of Saucony shoes. I guess my good luck from Sunday didn't stick around, though. No free shoes for me.


Oct 4

Another rest day! I mean, my legs felt pretty good but why push it. Plus, I had a running club meeting to attend. We heard a presentation about fueling during endurance events. Basically, drink more water and Gatorade.


Oct 5

Return to the track! However, I just did the warm-up and then ran easy miles while everyone else did 400s and 800s. Kind of lonely to be running around the track by myself, but oh well.


Oct 6

4 miles run at lunch.

I was exhausted when I got home from work but thought maybe a quick strength training workout video would perk me up. So I put in Denise Austin's "Shrink Your Female Fat Zones". 40 minutes of dumbbells and Pilates.

Okay, I know it's been awhile since I lifted weights but this felt HARD. Which makes me sad.


Oct 7

Rest day. My parents, my husband, my brother and I all went out to dinner to celebrate my brother's birthday. Jason and I got home WAY past my bedtime I was so thankful I could sleep in on Saturday morning.


Oct 8

And sleep in I did! But in order not to be too lazy of a slug, I went on a leisurely 20 mile bike ride in the afternoon. The day was just too gorgeous to not do something outside.


About mile 12, though, my bike started making a weird noise. It sounded like something was caught in the wheel so I slowed down to check it out. I didn't see anything but the noise was driving me crazy. As I stood on the side of the path trying to figure out what was going on two cyclists stopped to help. Turns out I did have a leaf stuck in the front brake caliper but it was jammed up there so far it was nearly impossible to see. The hazards of riding in the fall I guess.

Oct 9

Up at 4:00 AM, I think I was up earlier than many of the people actually running the Chicago Marathon! Instead of running I was in charge of the Gatorade stations on the north side of the street near mile 18.




The sun was brutal and although the elites managed to finish before the temperatures rose, I really felt for everyone else. Still, my running club had a lot of PRs and quite a few first-time marathon finishers so it was great to be out there supporting the runners.

By the time we finished cleaning up and headed home around 1:00 PM my legs and feet felt worse than they did after Milwaukee! I scarfed some pizza at our volunteer thank you event and then collapsed into bed around 4:00 PM. Where I proceeded to stay until I had to get up for work this morning. 14 hours of sleep? Don't mind if I do.

Total running mileage: 7.24
Total biking mileage: 20
Total strength training sessions: 1