A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Friday, October 14, 2011

Runners Must Be Crazy


Craziness Example 1: Running in the rain

Another rainy run on Thursday. Of course, when I decided to go running it was only misting but by the time we got outside it was coming down pretty good. The funny thing about running in the rain, though, is if you have on a hat (and don't wear glasses) you can barely tell it's raining. It's not until you get done and strip off your clothes that you realize how wet you are.

Only one other guy from the lunch time crew was able to go but we're close to the same pace (if I push it a little harder) so neither of us was out there alone. Of course, we weren't the only crazy runners doing our thing in the rain. Nope. We saw quite a few other runners as well as some cyclists.

Look, when you want to get in a workout you can't let Mother Nature deter you too much. In the end, we did almost 4.5 miles even though we originally said we were just going to do 3.

Rainy Lunch Run North by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details

Craziness Example 2: Signing up for last-minute races while traveling

I'm flying to Washington, DC on Saturday for a conference. We arrive Saturday evening but the conference stuff doesn't start until 11:30 AM on Sunday. The conference center is located across the river from Alexandria, Virgina in National Harbor, Maryland. In my quest to get in a run in as many states as possible I got online to Google running routes in the area.

Which of course meant I stumbled upon a running club website. Which had a list of races in the area.

Hmmm, I thought. I want to run a few miles on Sunday morning. I wonder if there's a race nearby. I think Kim is rubbing off on me :-)

A few clicks later and I landed on the website for the Inaugural Patent and Trademark Office Society 5K taking place less than 15 minutes from my hotel on Sunday morning.

So, I signed up. Hey, why not? Now I'm sure to get in at least one run while I'm there. I'll still need to run in Maryland, though....