A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Saturday, October 29, 2011

First and Ten

I had my alarm set for 6:15 this morning. My plan was to run 10 miles with my running group. When the alarm went off, however, I decided there was no real reason I had to run at 7:00 AM. So I turned off the alarm and went back to sleep.

Glorious.

So instead of running at 7:00 AM with a group I headed out for my run around 10:40 AM with just my iPhone and my favorite Pandora station to keep me company.

I must have still been slightly asleep, however, because just before the end of mile 2 my right toe caught an uneven portion of the sidewalk and down I went. I managed to fall mostly on my right side and land in a mostly dirt patch of someone's yard.



I sat up and looked around. I don't think anyone saw me, which cuts down on the embarssment factor. Injury inventory? Just some road rash on my left palm and a lot of dirt on my right hand and side. It took me a minute to decide what to do. This was my very first fall while running. In the end, though, I decided to keep going. I wasn't hurt badly and I figured I'd wash off the dirt at the next water fountain.

The very next song Pandora decided to play for me? "Remember the Name" by Fort Minor. If you've never heard this song, here's how it starts:

It's just ten percent luck
Twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure
Fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name



Mile 3 was my fastest mile. Gee, I wonder why.

This run alternated between feeling like I was flying and feeling like I was plodding along. My knee strapped into its knee brace was fine but my left hip and hip flexor were sore. And I was really disappointed to discover they'd turned off the water fountain at my 8 mile mark. Boo.

Still, you have to admit it was a pretty badass run. Dirt and all.

Neighborhood 10 by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details