A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Friday, October 7, 2011

These Legs


The Milwaukee Lakefront Marathonphotos are up and there are some really good ones of me, Kim, and the two of us together.

I'm super excited about my finish line photos.



At Chicago I'm not even sure I got a finish line photo, so these more than make up for it.

But you know what I saw when I looked at these photos?


Did I see the smile on my face? Did I see how strong I looked?


No. My eyes immediately gravitated towards my thighs. And my hips.

Since I haven't really been able to strength train I feel flabby and gross. I felt like these pictures were just highlighting that fact.

But yesterday, after a 4 mile run at lunch where I finally felt good again I realized something.

Those thighs and hips, those legs, they carried me for 26.2 miles in a time I never dared to imagine.

Those legs carried me on a 4 mile run along the Chicago lakefront less than week after running that marathon.

Those legs, no matter what they look like, are strong and capable. So, sure, I don't look like the women on the cover of Runners World. That doesn't mean I'm not a strong runner. Sure, I don't look like the celebrities on the cover of the fashion magazines, but that's not the point.

I'm proud of what my legs can do. And that's what's important.