A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Weekly Workout Wround Up

August 29th - September 4th

Aug 29

The long Monday night route, which is supposed to be 8 miles, somehow always ends up being closer to 7.8 for me instead. Strange.

Aug 30

I haven't been feeling the strength training lately. I think it's partly because my left leg is still acting a little wonky from time to time and I'm tired from running high mileage (for me). But Tuesday night when I got home from work Jason was heading down to the basement to do a workout so I decided to join him.

NROLW seemed too high speed so I settled for this Self magazine workout. I kept the weights light for the most part so that I wouldn't aggravate anything. Also because I've been slacking.

Aug 31

5 total sweaty miles on the track.

Sept 1

Rest day!

Sept 2

22 miles with Kim. The hardest run so far this year, I do believe. Oof.

Sept 3

Rest day! I actually felt pretty good, though, considering my long run of the day before.

Sept 4

Last week a coworker who lives in the western suburbs of Chicago like me told me about the Salt Creek Greenway. I've ridden the Salt Creek bike path that starts about 4 miles from my house but had no idea that this trail connected up with several other trails in the area to form a 26 mile long route that ends in a large forest preserve northwest of where I live. I found the idea intriguing so I downloaded a map and made it my goal to ride the entire thing. Sunday turned out to be the perfect day for it.

I instructed Jason to pick me up at the end and I packed my bike jersey with Clif Energy Shot gels and a granola bar, filled up my water bottle, and set out on my bike.

The ride went very smoothly and except for a few spots the trail was clearly marked. I wasn't going very fast and a few times I had to stop and check my map but I enjoyed every second of it. Including riding from my house to the trail head and then from the official end of the trail to where Jason was waiting in the car I rode a total of 32.83 miles!

I had some Garmin issues, though, so what the Garmin recorded is a little short and the ride may actually have been a bit longer than the recorded amount. Maybe closer to 33.5? Either way, it's still the longest I've ever ridden on my bike. I can't wait to do it again and maybe one day soon ride there AND back! And remember to take pictures. I was enjoying myself so much that I completely forgot.

Salt Creek Greenway Route by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details

The only downside is that there are a few major street crossings where you have to wait for traffic.

Total running mileage: 34.79
Total biking mileage: 32.83
Total strength workouts: 1