A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Monday, September 19, 2011

Sweet Sixteen



The last time I tried to run sixteen miles it ended with me in tears. And during the first part of my marathon training this time I totally skipped my sixteen mile run and went straight to eighteen. Fine by me.

But this weekend, when I originally thought I'd be doing 18 miles, I realized that if I'm supposed to be tapering then I probably already run a few too many miles during the week. So instead of doing 18 miles I figured I'd just try that whole 16 thing again. Plus, this way Kim could do the entire thing with me instead of having to ride her bike next to me for two measly miles.

I debated where I wanted to run but, in the end, it was back to the good old Des Plaines River Trail. Seems like most of my marathon training long runs have been on that puppy this year. Different parts of it, but at this point I think I've almost run the entire thing.

Anyway, we met up at the Half Day Forest Preserve which is about 40 minutes from my house (if you ignore the speed limit *cough*) at 7:30 AM on Sunday. The weather was drizzling and cool. Quite a few of my OPRC friends were running the Fox Valley Marathon or 20 miler so I hoped they were enjoying the decent running weather.

Kim and I tried out our race day outfits just to make sure they didn't chafe, bunch, or ride up. Success on all front!


Except for the minor chafing I get from my fuel belt. Someone remind me to lube up underneath that thing on marathon day!

Anyway, the first few miles felt rough. I'd woken up on Saturday with an incredibly sore left hip. After a day of ibuprofen, rest, foam rolling, ice, and some quality time laying on a tennis ball (you know, when the foam roller isn't punishment enough) it felt better but not 100%. Thankfully, it didn't really bother me while running. I just felt tired. I worried about what I'd feel like on marathon day. But around mile 5 I seemed to perk up. And then I think it was mile 8 or 10 when I took some of the Shot Bloks with caffeine. Then I REALLY perked up. Those things feel like cheating. I was chipper and felt strong for the rest of the run. I could have easily gone further. I was actually surprised when my watch beeped at mile 16. Done already?

I think that's a good sign.

Sixteen with Kim by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details