A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Monday, September 12, 2011

Weekly Workout Wround Up

September 5th - September 11th

Sept 5th

10 miles

Sept 6th

Rest day! Actually, it was our first "regular" running club meeting of the 2011-2012 year. Per tradition, we had the race director from the Chicago Marathon come speak to us. We also encouraged people to wear their favorite or oldest Chicago Marathon gear.


Can you find me in that photo?


We had shirts going all the way back to 1978, before it was even known as THE Chicago Marathon.

As always, a great meeting and I always learn a little something new about the marathon. This year I learned that the reason they run the course in the direction they do is so that they can get the busier streets north of downtown reopened sooner.

Sept 7th

4 miles of straights and curves.

Sept 8th

Rest day!

Sept 9th

I ran from my office to pick up my race packet for the Chicago Half Marathon and back for a total of 4 miles. Yes, there was a break in the middle but I still got some mileage in!

Sept 10th

Kim wanted to get in 22 miles but I didn't want to run the day before my half marathon. So what did I do? Well, I couldn't let her run 22 all by her lonesome. Especially not after how much of a help she was to me the week before. So, I hopped on my bike and pedal next to her the entire way.

Kim & Erin (on bike) 9/10/11 at Garmin Connect - Details

Just like me, Kim struggled toward the end of her run but I tried my best to distract her by talking about random stuff and telling silly stories. And then rubbing her back and force feeding her crackers when she felt nauseous after she got done. Hey, what are friends for?



Sept 11th

Chicago Half Marathon!

While I'm proud of my finishing time I'm a little mad at myself for running so fast so close to my marathon. My left quad is still sore and has a huge knot in it. When I woke up from my nap on Sunday afternoon my left shin hurt again like it did back in February. Some ice, rest, and ibuprofen seem to be helping but I know I was being stupid and reckless. Hopefully it doesn't come back to haunt me.

Total running mileage: 31.23
Total biking mileage: 22
Total strength training sessions: 0

I guess technically I'm sort of starting to taper for my marathon. I've got one more long (more than 10 mile) run coming up this weekend but then after that it's all on the downswing.