A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pick Up


I left work on Wednesday with a killer headache, a nagging worry about my left leg (now my knee has started to act up), and a general sense of malaise. I seriously debated skipping track and just curling up in bed.

But, as always, I changed into my running clothes and went out to meet my friends at the track. I'm telling you, if you want to stick to a routine find a group of people that expect you to be there. A group of people who will wonder where you are if you don't show up. A group that will want to see you so they can tell you "good luck" on your upcoming race.

So, I did my stretches and talked about last weekend's race and did my warm-up and drills and got my adjusted workout from Coach Holly. While everyone else was killing themselves with 800s I got to do 400s.

It's been awhile since I did any kind of speedy intervals like that. Whoa. I was trying to hit 5K pace or just below in order to remind my legs what it's like to run fast. I think they may have gotten some of that on Saturday so I tried to push it a little faster. Not too fast, though.

And, like usual, when it's been awhile since I've done intervals I forgot how to use my Garmin. So I don't have a split time for my first interval but I'm guessing it was around 1:40something. Which felt like death. I went out of the gate too fast and was fading hard by the 200 meter mark. I really enjoyed that 400 meter rest.

The second 400 was slightly easier and I finished that in 1:47. My legs were starting to remember what to do.

The third and fourth 400 felt even better and I hit both of those in 1:50. Not my fastest 400 times ever, but exactly what I was aiming for. Still, I was glad to be done and to move on to my cool-down mile. My knee behaved itself as long as I focused on my form so that's good, too.

As I walked to my car from the track everyone told me "good luck" for Sunday. I left with no more headache and a slight smile on my face. And that's why I convince myself to go even when the bed looks so inviting.

OPRC Track Workout by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details