A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Friday, September 9, 2011

Two Birds, One Stone


Sunday is the Chicago Half Marathon. Also known as the most inconvenient half marathon for most of the people who run it. It's definitely geared towards tourists moreso than the majority of people who actually live in and around the city. Why?

Well, the start line is not on any city public transportation. They have to arrange for special regional trains. If you drive to the start line you either pay $14 to park and walk a mile there and back or find street parking and walk even further. And risk dealing with Chicago Bears traffic on the way home. Packet pick-up is also not on a public transit line and it's $10 to park there. However, packet pick-up is two miles from my office. And I needed to get in another run this week.

So guess what I did? I strapped on one of those drawstring backpacks everyone seems to be giving away and after work I ran from my office to the Festival Hall at Navy Pier to pick up my packet. I was pretty sweaty when I got there but was able to get my stuff with little fanfare. I even ran into Coach Holly and Helen as I was leaving.

I didn't tie the bag right across my chest on the way back so it bounced more and made my shoulders ache but for two miles it didn't really matter. I got in my run and picked up my packet. I guess that's what they call running an errand!

Half Marathon Packet Pick Up by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details

And when I got home I discovered my new running shoes had arrived!


New shoes always make me realize just how beat up my old shoes are. I guess that's what over 350 miles will do to a pair of shoes.