A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What a Difference a Day Makes


Well, technically it was a few days, but after the horrible mini heat wave that hit us on Thursday, Friday and Saturday the temperatures cooled down significantly. When I left my house late Monday morning for a run I wore a short-sleeved shirt and was actually cold standing in the shade waiting to cross the street!

Since I had the day off work I was able to get in a longer-than-usual weekday run. My original plan was to run 8 miles. Then I figured I'd do 8.5. Or maybe 9 miles. In the end I did 10. And it was wonderful.

When my Garmin beeped at mile 1 I was a little shocked to see I'd done it in 8:27! Oops. Better slow down. So I did. A bit. It was just one of those runs when your legs are moving independently and you feel like you're flying.

I thought that was a little odd considering my 30+ mile bike ride the day before but perhaps my body was just reveling in the cooler temps. Sure, there was a stiff breeze that seemed to be in my face no matter what direction I ran but I didn't care. A cool wind is better than stifling humidity.

So I ran and ran. My legs churned, my music blared, and I remembered how much I love running.

Solo Monday Long Run by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details