A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Straights and Curves

Image Source


The workout that we do at the beginning of each training "cycle" this summer is called "straights and curves". As I understand it, we do this to get our bodies used to running fast without jumping into the super speedy stuff too quickly.

A track is basically two parallel straight lines connected by shallow C shapes at each end.


When we do straights and curves workouts we do drills on one straight side and then strides on the other straight side. I explained strides last week and the drills consist of doing alternating laps of forward drills (high knees/butt kicks or skipping) and lateral drills (side gallops, karaoke). And then you jog (or walk) super easy on the curved parts. Last night we did 8 laps total.

Sound complicated? It's not, really. And it makes the workout go by quickly. Last night I ended up doing a total of four miles. One mile warm-up, 8 laps of straights and curves, and then a one mile cool-down. Holly also mentioned that I looked a lot better than last week. I'm telling you, it's the cool weather.

I foam-rolled both before and after running because my right IT band started feeling a little funky after my run on Monday. Not pain, per se, but just off. I've also been stretching and icing so that I can hopefully nip whatever this is in the bud. It didn't bother me while running, though, so that's a good sign. I need to stay on the straight and narrow and not get thrown any curve balls.

OPRC Track Workout by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details