A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Sunday, May 22, 2011

What a Difference

Source



Back in September 2009 I ran the PAWS Run for Their Lives 8K race and Robert, one of the members of my running group, paced me to a finish with an average of a 9:07 pace. I struggled in that race and pushed myself so hard I almost puked.

Yesterday morning I ran with Robert. We weren't racing. He wasn't pacing me. And we were running substantially more than 5 miles. In fact, we ran just over 8 miles together. And while the first few miles were my warm-up, the rest of those miles we ran side by side at a sub-9:07 pace.

Robert told me I looked like I was running easy. And while 9:00 minutes per mile isn't my easy pace quite yet, it's getting there. It definitely feels easier than it did in September 2009.

Yesterday morning was a perfect indicator of just how far I've come in the less than 3 years I've been keeping this blog. I ran a total of 9.39 miles at an average 9:20 pace (I walked the last tenth of a mile or so). Two years ago I did my very first 10 mile run at a pace one minute per mile slower than I ran on Saturday.

What a difference two years makes.

OPRC Saturday Morning Run by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details