A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Monday Night Musings


On Monday, in between all the congratulations being handed around (lots of club members ran awesome races this weekend, not just me) I was asked what my next goal is. Having hit my sub-2:00 hour half-marathon goal I guess my thoughts turned to being able to dial it back a notch for a few weeks.

Yeah, that totally didn't happen last night. When we hit our first mile in 8:43 Jacob, Phil and I gasped for air and decided to slow down. We sort of managed it.

Our splits were:

Mile 1 - 8:43
Mile 2 - 8:50
Mile 3 - 9:05
Mile 4 - 8:48
Mile 5 - 8:37
Mile .45 - 8:53 pace

You'd think I was racing a half marathon or something!

Actually, during mile 5 I was really focusing on pushing off with my back leg and extending my hip flexors. There might be something to this whole gait thing after all. I felt like I was flying!

So apparently I failed at my goal of taking it easy for awhile. But what about my actual new goals?

Well, there's always that "finish a marathon in a time that starts with a 4" goal. And complete my first duathlon goal. And survive the Madison to Chicago relay goal. Speaking of which, my relay team needs another runner! You know you've always wanted to run a relay with me and Kim and the rest of my lunch time running crew. You should totally join us.