A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Saving My Shorts


My savior, the bathroom at mile 4



Monday night was one of those nights when running felt hard. I think that means I need a rest?

Anyway, I could barely keep up with our 9:15 pace so I dialed it back and tried to take it easy. Also, for future reference, slamming handfuls of raisins for my mid-morning and afternoon snack is NOT a good plan. I had to take a walk break at mile 3.5 to settle my stomach and I've never been happier to see a bathroom at the 4 mile mark.

Aren't you glad you read this blog?

Also, shorts and tank top weather is definitely here this week. I wore shorts and a short sleeved shirt and was totally overheated. I ended up stripping off the shirt and running the last 1.5 miles in my shorts and sports bra. Much to running buddy Jacob's chagrin. When Phil whipped off his shirt Jacob bemoaned the fact that he was the only fully clothed runner of our trio. But, hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. And, hey, speaking of shorts weather, Beth @ Shut Up and Run is giving away some shorts for both men and women! Oh, and a jacket, too, but it's definitely not jacket weather.

In the end I managed a 9:24 average pace even with the two short walk breaks I took. Of course, that doesn't count the almost 8 minute bathroom and rest break I took before that last 1.5 miles but, eh, I'm considering this to be a step-back week in a way. I really need one.

On the plus side, after my bike ride on Sunday I found a good way to stretch my hip, hip flexor, and adductor and that, combined with a stretch I do on the Power Plate at PT my hip FINALLY feels better. And while my shin twinged a bit even with my new shoes it also seems to be on the mend. Thank goodness.

Monday Night OPRC by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details