A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Monday, May 23, 2011

Weekly Workout Wround Up

May 16 - May 22

May 16

5.5 miles that felt harder than I wanted it to. But the post-run drinks, chips, food and company totally made up for it.


May 17

4 miles at lunch even though the Garmin didn't want to play nice. Also, now I know what I'm doing at the Madison to Chicago relay. I'm both excited and terrified.

After work I decided to squeeze in a strength workout before dinner. Down to the basement I went to do workout A of Stage 2 of NROLW:
2x10 Front squat/push press
2x10 Step Ups
2x10 Dumbbell one point row
2x10 Static lunge w/rear foot elevated
2x10 Push Ups
2x60 sec Planks
2x10 Horizontal Wood Chop

I had to cheat a little bit during the second 60 second plank (2 second break, lifting my butt up, a quick downward dog) but I think I still got a pretty good burn.

My hip flexor was kind of mad at me afterward, though. Bummer.


May 18

A total of 5.16 miles at the track.


May 19

Rest day!


May 20

Nothing. I had to work from 9 AM until 8:30 PM. I was pretty tired by the time I got home.


May 21

9.39 miles in the morning followed by several hours at this:





Four hours of dance, aerobics, yoga, and strength training classes all done outside with the Chicago skyline in the background. Each class is 20 minutes long. I really enjoyed the "Bollywood" style dance class as well as the sexy stretch class. The upper body strength training workout where we used our water bottle as a weight was fun, too. The yoga class we took was weird and I'm a little bummed I missed kickboxing but I still had a great time with Kim and her mom, sister and sister's friend.

I'd planned to do another short run when I got home (to try and simulate what I'll be doing during the relay next month) but I was wiped.out. Instead I fell asleep on the couch before ordering Thai food for a late dinner.


May 22

Another rest day. I'm at a conference in the city until Wednesday afternoon so I spent all day listening to people talk about Microsoft SharePoint. Exciting, huh?

Total running mileage: 24.05
Total strength training sessions: 1 (unless you count the 20 minutes of arm stuff with a water bottle at the Workout in the Park)