A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Monday, November 28, 2011

Nightmares



This weekend I had two nightmares about the upcoming Las Vegas Marathon.

Why am I having nightmares about this race when I had very little anxiety about Milwaukee?

I think it's a combination of things.

1. Milwaukee went so well that I'm a little afraid it was a fluke.

2. My injuries are flaring up more now than they were before Milwaukee. I haven't been able to run as much as I did before Milwaukee.

3. My only goal for Milwaukee was to break 5 hours. But if I didn't, I had plenty of time to finish the race.

4. But Las Vegas has a (stupid) course limit of 4 hours and 30 minutes. You may recall I ran 4:36:58 in Milwaukee. So I have to shave 7 minutes off my PR in order to even finish before they shut down the course!

I am so freaking anxious about this course limit thing that I'm debating dropping down to the half marathon.

Both of my nightmares involved not finishing the race before the course time limit.

If one more person asks me if I'm going to see any shows while I'm in Vegas I might scream. I just want to go and get this race over with. Celebrate my friends' 10 year wedding anniversary and come home. I'm beginning to think I'm not cut out for big production marathons. Give me a "down home" race any day. That's much more my speed.