A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Trick or Treat

Two years ago Jason and I were invited to a Halloween party and put our outfits together at the last minute. I bought a "sexy" race car driver outfit and we got him some coveralls so he could be my pit crew.


Last year I don't even remember what we did but I'm pretty sure we didn't dress up. So my costume from 2009 sat in a drawer. Until this year, that is.

A few weeks ago it was decided that since our running group's regular Monday night fun run fell on Halloween that people should dress up if they wanted to. I sent out the email and put it on Facebook but didn't think I'd be dressing up personally. But then I remembered my costume stuffed in the drawer. Hmmm, I thought, I wonder if I could run in that.


Turns out, I can! I added capris, arm warmers, and a sports bra but that was it. Perfect!

The streets were crazy busy with all the trick or treaters and their parents out and about. It amazes me that on every other Monday night these people are no where to be seen. But last night they were out in force. I fell to the back of the pack quickly and felt kind of stupid running alone in my costume, but, hey, it was dark. I just pretended I was running from Halloween zombies or something. I knew better than to push myself too hard.

When I finally caught up with the group at the 4 mile mark I was all set to do the short route and finish up with just another 1.5 miles. But then Maribeth talked me into doing the full 7.75 mile route with her. We ran a nice, sedate pace and chatted the entire time. Those 3.75 miles just flew by! We're hoping to run the Las Vegas marathon together so this was good practice.

And with that, my Halloween run was over. Til next time, costume.