A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Back to the Belt


Well, it appears that we've reached the crappy weather portion of our year.

Monday night I totally wimped out and skipped running in the rain and the dark. Tuesday morning I had the opportunity to run during the day but it was STILL raining. So, I took what some would consider the easy way out and went to the gym to use the treadmill.

Although, perhaps some of you wouldn't consider 6 miles on the treadmill to be the easy way out.

I figure it's good mental training, right? Treadmills are BORING and it takes all I've got to not hit the stop button and go do something else.

I set the incline to 1.0 and the speed to 6.0 MPH (10 minute miles), turned up my music and tried to zone out.

The first mile is always the worst. "How am I going to do this?" I think. "How many more miles?"

When I get to mile three I always think about how I want to be done. "Maybe three miles is my limit on this thing..."

But I know that's not true. So I finished all six.

Run for Pi made a couple posts this week about what to do now that the weather is finally turning for the worse. Do you suck it up and run outside? Do you outfit yourself in an outfit made entirely out of reflective tape and run in the dark? Do you resign yourself to being cold?

Whenever the time changes and the seasons change it always takes me a few weeks to adjust. Run in the dark? Blech. Run in the cold? Blech.

By January, though, I'm usually okay. Although, this time last year I wasn't still training for a marathon so I was able to take a little longer to adjust.

I don't WANT to resort to the treadmill but until I'm comfortable with the weather and the darkness I have a feeling that's where I'll be.