A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Thursday, November 3, 2011

October Wrap Up


I waited so long for October to get here. I trained all summer to run the Milwaukee Marathon. I battled injuries and twinges, volunteered at the Chicago Marathon, and finished up my CARA racing season.

No wonder October went by in a flash.

Last night Coach Holly asked me what the highlight of my year has been so far. I have to say it was the Milwaukee Marathon. I've had some great races this year but October 2nd just blew my mind. I hope I remember how I felt that day for the rest of my life. In fact, I didn't want October to end because that just means I'm getting further and further away from that amazing day.

But October brought me more than just an amazing marathon. I ran three other races AFTER Milwaukee. Last year I basically sat on my couch after the Chicago Marathon but this year I took a week off and then got right back on the train with a 5K that could have been a PR, a 10K that WAS a PR, and another 10K for fun.

I ran in costume for the first time on Halloween but, sadly, I didn't get to run much with Kim post-marathon.

All in all I hit another 100+ month with a total of 116.18 miles. The biking and the strength training fell by the wayside and I'm still trying to figure out how to do strength training that won't aggravate my hip. But regardless of those two issues, October was a fabulous month. I'm sad that it's over but looking forward to the rest of the year!