A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Thursday, December 1, 2011

November Wrap- Up



Ah, November. We've certainly had our ups and downs, haven't we?

This time last year I was struggling to find my running mojo. This year I've had to keep my mileage up for the marathon that's taking place in three days.

Last year I was dealing with the tail end of patellar tendonitis in my right knee. This year I've been diagnosed with a labral tear in my left hip, developed some ITB pain in my left knee, and, most recently, I'm struggling with soreness and pain in my left glute and left quad.

Anyone have a left leg they're not using?

This November I also ran two 5K distances that were drastically different. My first cross country race that left me wiped out and disappointed. Then a week later I ran a 5K PR that felt great.

Yesterday I added up my running mileage for November and realized I was at 99.35. My original plan was to rest this entire week and maybe do an easy three miles on Saturday, i.e. the day before the Las Vegas Marathon. But, I admit, I wanted to hit 100 miles again this month. So, last night after work I did one loop around my neighborhood. So now my official total for November's running mileage is 101.12!

Thankfully my left glute behaved itself. My left quad was okay except any time I had to go down or up a curb. I'll keep stretching and icing and foam rolling and asking it nicely to start acting right.

So, November. Ups and downs.