A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Monday, March 28, 2011

Weekly Workout Wround Up

March 21st - March 27th

Mar 21

A very blah almost 5.5 mile run with the running group.

Mar 22

Rest day. Although in the evening I helped fill in the "No Parking" signs and haul boxes of race goody bags for my running club's 5K race: Race That's Good for Life.

Mar 23

4.22 miles in my in-laws neighborhood at 7000 feet.

Mar 24 and Mar 25

Skiing!



The weather was perfect and there was just enough snow to ski both Thursday and Friday. All told we skied for approximately 5 hours both days. The first day went well until I inexplicably forgot how to get off the chairlift which made me frustrated and angry. Still, I managed to move on from the beginning hill to a "more difficult" blue square run.




The slopes were relatively empty on Thursday which was nice for me. I hate having to dodge people or worry about cutting someone off. Friday morning was also nice and empty. And, thanks to some coaching from both Jason and his mom, I finally remembered how to get off the chairlift without falling.



By Friday afternoon I was flying down the slopes significantly faster than I had been on Thursday. For only being my fourth day of skiing ever Jason tells me I was doing really well.



However, skiing did highlight the fact that my left leg is much weaker than my right. I guess that explains all the weird left leg issues I've been having (shin, adductor, hip flexor). Something to bring up with my physical therapist next time I see her.

Still, once I got my "ski legs" I was having a blast. We've got to figure out a way to do this more than once every other year.

Mar 26

Rest day. Technically it was a travel day but the problem with going from west to east is that you lose so much more of your day. No pre or post-travel workout for me.

Mar 27

I probably should have gone for a run but I just wasn't feeling it. So instead I decided to get in a strength training workout. Yeah, my body wasn't feeling that either but I pushed through. Probably stupid but too late now.

3 sets of 10 deadlifts
3 sets of 10 dumbbell shoulder presses
3 sets of 10 pullovers
3 sets of 10 lunges
3 sets of 12 Swiss ball crunches

Total mileage: 9.68
Total strength workouts: 1

Well, THAT was a low mileage week. But, I expected it so it doesn't bother me. Sometimes running has to take a backseat so that you can enjoy all the other things life has to offer. Like skiing :-)