A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Monday, March 14, 2011

Weekly Workout Wround Up

March 7 - March 13

Mar 7

After some debate, I decided to run 7.79 miles with the running club. I'm glad I did.

Mar 8

No workout of any kind today unless you count hosting a 100+ person conference and walking around in high heels all day. My feet were killing me by the time I got home and I collapsed into bed at 9:30 PM.

Mar 9

Wednesday was my first physical therapy session for my shin. We determined that my left hip seems to be asleep on the job so she gave me some exercises to wake it up. Specifically clams and leg lifts against the wall.

After work I went to the gym and did a 5 minute warm up on the stationary bike that actually bothered my shin more than running ever does. Weird. Anyway, after that I launched into a weight workout:

3 sets of 10 squats
3 sets of 10 push ups
3 sets of 10 seated rows
3 sets of step-ups
3 sets of 12 prone jackknives

The seated row felt a lot easier than it used to. I'm guessing all that rowing we did in CrossFit gave me a better understanding of what I'm supposed to be doing.

Mar 10

Intervals with the running group on Thursday night for a total of 6.34 miles. And, of course, my PT exercises before bed.

Mar 11

Rest day! Unless you count physical therapy where we mostly worked my calves. Plus, my legs still felt pretty shredded after Wednesday and Thursday so I thought they needed a break.

Mar 12

9.34 miles with the Saturday morning crew.

Afterward I scarfed down second breakfast and then went to the gym for the vinyasa yoga class I've been taking a few times a month. I thought it would be a good way to stretch-post run. Well, actually taking the class after a run made me question whether or not I'm doing more stretching or more strength training in there! I definitely did some of the easy versions of several poses when given the option. Still, I like that class so I think I'll keep it in the rotation when it fits.

Mar 13

I signed up for foursquare for the sole intention of being able to check in at the gym and get more points at Earndit and since my basement doesn't count as a gym, I figured I'd go to the real gym and do my strength workout.
5 minute warm up on the elliptical
Stretches
3 sets of 10 deadlifts
3 sets of 10 dumbbell shoulder presses
3 sets of 10 wide grip lat pulldowns
3 sets of 10 lunges
3 sets of 12 Swiss ball crunches

Strength training with heavy weights is definitely a trade off. On the one hand, you feel badass and, well, you also look pretty awesome. On the other hand, well, your hands look like this:



I think I either need some weightlifting gloves or figure out how to build up calluses faster.


Total mileage: 23.51
Total strength training workouts: 2