A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Monday Glad-day





I debated long and hard about how much to run on Monday night. The training plan said 8 miles. The doctor said 5 miles. My body was tired and I had to be up EARLY on Tuesday and had a busy day ahead of me. But I hadn't run since Thursday and I was feeling like a slacker.

So, in the end, I decided to run 8 miles.

Technically I've thrown my training plan out the window but I glanced at it today just to see what I would have been doing. 2.5 miles warm-up, 3 miles at 9:00, 2.5 mile cool down.

What did I end up doing? 2 mile warm up, 1 mile at 8:55, 1 mile at 8:28, 4 miles easy.

I ran the first two miles with some of the Monday night crew and the next two miles by myself. I was surprised at my pace when my Garmin beeped at mile 4. I knew I was pushing myself but I didn't realize just how hard. Interesting.

The last 4 miles I ran with Maribeth and we just chatted and I didn't worry about my pace. I felt good and strong.

My shin twinged a bit and I felt cold for the first two miles or so. I guess tights, a short sleeved shirt and arm warmers are just on the edge of comfortable for a 310F evening. But after I warmed up everything felt fine.

I'm so glad I decided to run 8 miles. I'm glad the run felt strong. I'm glad I pushed myself for at least a few miles. But mostly I'm glad I got out there. I think if we could bottle how I feel after a good run and sell it the world would be a much better place.

Monday Night OPRC 8 Mile Route by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details