A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Running Results

Well, I ran on Monday night. And I'm still alive. And my left leg hasn't fallen off. I suppose that's success!

I was honestly debating whether or not to go because mid-afternoon on Monday I started to get a headache and feel a little bit "off". But I've felt that way in the past and a run has made me feel better so off I went.

Actually, first I walked the 1.5 miles to where my running group meets. The sports medicine doctor told I was supposed to do a one mile warm-up walk and I figured this would be more than sufficient. I'm a pretty good power walker thanks to many a time spent power walking with my mom.

Walk to OPRC by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details

I did some of my stretches once I arrived at the running store and then set out for an easy three miles. One of the guys from the club I don't usually run with and I did the three miles together and chatted about skiing, both downhill and cross-country. He made me want to try cross-country skiing!

I noticed my hip and leg were a little sore when we would stop for intersections but it was hard to tell if that was because I just hadn't used them this way in a while or if they really weren't ready for prime time. We weren't going fast but I could definitely tell I wasn't in the same shape as I was at the end of 2011. But, hey, I'm still able to run three miles!

After the run my left leg needed a lot of stretching and massaging. However, now, a few days later, it feels fine! Unfortunately, I've been hit with whatever illness is going around and have been alternating hacking up a lung, dealing with throbbing sinus pressure, and monitoring my temperature every 10 minutes. Hence, no more running since Monday night.

But, I pushed my luck and Wednesday night I attended the swim lesson I won from Maggie's giveaway!

Swimming makes you look kind of scary

Coach Judie was amazing! I learned more in the 30 minutes I had with her than I did in the six weeks I took swim lessons a few years ago. I feel much more comfortable in the pool now even though we didn't get through all the fundamentals of the freestyle stroke. I'm looking forward to making time to get the pool and try out the drills she gave me!

For now, though, I'm going to continue hacking up a lung, slamming Dayquil and resting. I think my body might need it.