A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Best of Both Worlds

outside_strength_training 001

Like all the other Chicago bloggers, I’m going to talk about the weather.

In a word, it’s amazing.

Well, okay, it’s a little warm for running but since I wanted to strength train that was okay with me.

At first I was planning to go to the gym to lift some weights.  But it felt like a waste of a beautiful day to spend it inside.  Especially since I’d already spent the entire morning inside purging and packing.

So, instead, I took my mat and my weights outside to do my full body workout

outside_strength_training 002

Bridge w/Chest Fly

 

I did the routine three times but swapped out the rope climber crunches for Pilates roll-ups and the bridge with chest fly for bridge with chest press on the last round. 

outside_strength_training 003Cuban Shoulder Press

I LOVED lifting weights outside.  Going through the routine three times took me about an hour and it was the perfect way to enjoy this weather. 

And what will I do when I no longer have a yard in a few months?  Well, I’ll just take my stuff up to the roof.  I mean, who wouldn’t want to lift weights with this as their view?

VanBuren-roof