A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Monday, March 12, 2012

Not So Easy


This bronchitis or cold or flu or whatever the heck I have really wiped me out last week. Other than my Monday workouts and my swim lesson on Wednesday I basically did nothing. When my PT session on Friday left me gasping for air I knew I needed a slight break.

But when Sunday afternoon came around I was feeling restless. The weather was amazing and I wanted to take advantage of it. First I thought I'd ride my bike outside for the first time in months. But then I thought, no, you know what? I want to run. I want to lace up my shoes and give it a shot.

So, I did.

I did a loop around my neighborhood as a 1.5 mile warm-up walk, stopped at my house to drop off my sweatshirt, and then set off on another lap, this one running.

The first 1.5 mile run felt pretty good. I could feel some tightness and soreness in my hip but nothing too bad. In fact, I had to keep reminding myself to slow down!

I stopped at my house again for some water since it was much warmer outside than I had anticipated.

The second 1.5 mile loop, though, took its toll. I could feel myself fatiguing and my hip started to hurt more. I finished that loop and debated calling it a day but then I decided to do one more loop as a cool-down walk.

Probably not the best idea I ever had. I could feel myself starting to limp and when I got home and stretched I practically burst into tears. I foam rolled, I stretched, and even in bed last night I was laying on a tennis ball trying to loosen up my hip.

To be honest, it felt worse last night than it did after either of my marathons. My leg feels better today, though, and it will be interesting to see if my PT appointment tonight finds any tightness.

But, while I was running without pain it felt pretty nice to be out there. I'll just have to remember to take it easier next time.